ISHERWOOD: WELSH GOVERNMENT TO FUND SUPPORTING PEOPLE PROGRAMME BY MAKING HUGE CUTS IN NORTH WALES PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 15 June 2012 08:29

 

A politician has expressed concern that the Welsh Government will fund its new Supporting People Programme across Wales by making huge cuts in North Wales.

 

?

Responding to this week’s Statement by the Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage, Huw Lewis, on the Supporting People Programme, Mark Isherwood AM said at a meeting with Flintshire County Council’s Social and Health Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee last year, members of all Parties expressed concern that local authorities across North Wales were set to lose more than 20% of their Supporting People funding and asked whether the Welsh Government was able to reconsider the level of reduction in order to provide protection for North Wales.

 

?

Mr Isherwood questioned the Minister on the distribution of funding under the new formula, which the Minister has stated will take account of transition effects.

 

?

He said: "How will you ensure that successful and proactive providers will not be penalised in order to switch funding to areas that have been less proactive in bidding for funds in the past How will your"longitudinal evaluation study to demonstrate the impacts and outcomes of the programme"ensure that cuts in local authority areas losing funding will not simply subsidise dependency in those areas that will now gain, despite not having made the effort to secure more funding previously

 

?

"Local authorities and regions such as Cardiff andNorth Walesface a reduction in grant and services upon redistribution of the grant. Given that scenario, what preparation and support do you plan for those local authorities and regions at a time of increasing demand for the types of services that will have funding restricted as the Supporting People revenue grant is redistributed to the Supporting People programme grant"

 

?

Mr Isherwood also asked the Minister if he will revisit the terms of funding to ensure that it does not stop charities and third sector bodies from delivering models proven to work in providing homeless families and individuals with an opportunity to stay together, take responsibility and build a better future for themselves, their children and their loved ones.

 

?

Mr Isherwood added: "I am very worried that the Welsh Government is funding this programme across Wales by making huge cuts in North Wales, penalising social enterprise and success in order to reward inaction elsewhere.

 

"It is vital that the Minister protects the many excellent schemes across North Wales being delivered by independent charities and social enterprises." 

 

Promoted by Mark Isherwood AM at National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF99 1NA

Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Login

Neither The National Assembly For Wales, nor Mark Isherwood AM are responsible for the content of external links or websites.